What kind of decks beat....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What kind of decks beat....

Post  AngryJason on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:17 pm

U/B control... i mean just spit ballin here.

like super fast aggro? tempered steel... MBI... i mean just have to crank out more threats than they can counter/remove? there isn't an established combo in the meta...
AngryJason

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What kind of decks beat....

Post  Nate on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Usually creatures that are hard to answer (i.e. Hexproof) and can't be dealt with with an edict (they have a Bird or something in play). If you bury them in CA, that sometimes works too! Solar Flare is the only deck to do that so far....

Basically you have to bait them into either tapping out or mis-playing. From playing against my Brother's Pod list, Grave into Image into another Image is tough to deal with. Skaab Ruinator can get annoying if I can't find a Dissipate.

Overall I am unsure what the decks weaknesses REALLY are. I have only lost due to my own mis-plays it seems.
Nate

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  AngryJason on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 pm

ya the deck seems really strong... hows your wolf run match up. also have you started reading the book?
AngryJason

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I was initially fearful of that match up as they had Thrun, Dungrove and all of the Zenith's. But, after playing against it, it isn't un-winnable. I just need to play tight and I can beat them. Mill absolutely wrecks them. It is kind of like playing a bad Valakut deck! Hahaha!

And yes I have. It is awesome so far! Thanks again!
Nate

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:52 pm

I've noticed that the best decks to play against U/B decks are either aggro or mid range (Pod). They have problems answering heavy threat decks ie: spirit tokens, RDW, etc, but will smash on decks that try to slam titans (Wolfrun). It's really about tempo when you're playing against U/B and you have to make the player play outside of their comfort zone. If you can put them on the defensive and keeping swinging their life total seems to run out faster than their card draw (Sphinx joke get it!?). That's my opinion anyways.
Kenny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Playing MBI against this deck means I have to bait them into countering one thing just to play the other. Knowing how they play the deck is huge into baiting them into a solid play. But even still this damn deck has answers it can pull out of nowhere. The draw counter is so effective against creature decks. I have to get one creature to stick and just keep them on their toes. Luck plays a factor cause when they answer one creature I hope I have another one ready. I never over play my hand against this deck. It seems to work. Honestly I have been winning against this deck but its hard. Every time its a grind. Other things that work against it that I'm learning are artifacts like Contingen Clasp it puts them on a clock and when its out they have no answer for it. Also seeing their hand helps hugely cause the thought of knowing what spells they have makes plays easier. I love B/U control this deck is almost flawless. Good luck to anyone playing against it. Cool
Andy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason-admin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:01 pm

solar flare > UB control =) least when im playin it, im 5-0 vs. ub.

liliana of the veil destroys blue black control. as far as aggro decks go, i think it just requires luck on the aggro deck and bad luck on the ub deck. aggro just doesn't have the tools to beat the top control decks yet..maybe next set.
Jason-admin
Admin

View user profile http://mtgkings.freegametalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:47 am

Actually UB has answers for everything!!! First off I love playing this deck. Solar Flare is easily sideboarded against with Nihil Spellbomb/Surgical Extraction abilities. Can I say Doomblade Sun Titan into Surgical Extraction ftw? lol But on a serious note UB toughest matchup I have to say is Wolfrun Ramp because it puts pressure on UB which in turn is it's downfall. Curse of Death's Hold tho is a great sideboard card against Wolfrun because it shutsdown Inkmoth nexus which is the Biggest threat to UB, plus kills birds and other small creatures taking up space so you can Tribute to Hunger that green manace Thrun. Btw here is my UB decklist.

2 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Grave Titan
1 Bloodgift Demon
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Wurmcoil Engine
Creatures [9]
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
4 Dissipate
3 Doom Blade
1Go For The Throat
3 Forbidden Alchemy