So if you guys were going to play an aggro deck...

Go down

So if you guys were going to play an aggro deck...

Post  Kenny on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Would you play:
1) Haunted Humans (My personal pick)
2) Tempered Steel (Channel Fireball's pick)
3) Puresteel Equipment (TCG Player likes this one)
4) Township Tokens
5) Wolfrun Ramp

Please give me some feedback, as an aggro player I love to hear which decks you guys feel are doing best and why. It's cool to see what you guys are thinking in terms of meta. Because I've read all the reports, and played several of the decks, and would like to see which you feel is the strongest from personal experience (Worlds aside etc).
Kenny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So if you guys were going to play an aggro deck...

Post  Nate on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 pm

I would play mono-blue Delver to be honest. It is a fairly fast deck that rewards tight plays. Haunted Humans is a great pick because t3 Crusader into t4 Hero is one of the best plays I have seen in Standard! Haha also Conley's Tempered Steel with the Moorland Haunt was pretty cool, but the meta is going to hate that thing out so hard.....I wouldn't play it. Just my two cents!
Nate

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  pwner1 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't see WRR as aggro. It seeks to ramp up to big bombs with alternate win conditions in the nexus. Tokens is only aggro if its OverrunRamp Tokens. Any other token strategy is going to be too slow to go aggro on somebody and should ideally be running some removal and day of judgments. The strongest attribute of tokens is it has so many threats that control eventually loses the fight and some tokens start sneaking through for the win or the board gets overwhelmed. Tokens is really a midrange game and should aim to shut down aggro with Day of Judgment and pace their game against control and eek out victories at either end.

I think haunted humans (geist aggro with moorland haunt?) is superior to tempered steel. They both have the same game plan against all other archetypes but haunted humans can still drop honor of the pure buffed spirit tokens into play late game to eventually win the game. Tempered steel either goes big or goes home. Further, I think that haunted humans has the tools to shut down tempered steel in that match up with relic warder / fiend hunter. Tempered seems really good but I think it is the definition of overextended and other archetypes can really shut that down if they are prepared for it.

pwner1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks guys!
Nate, I almost included Delver, but I hate the mana base, and it feels kinda weird to me most times. It's a tempo deck at heart, and one of my biggest flaws as a magic player is I rush. I feel like Tempered Steel is going to be hated a whole lot, and completely agree with you there. However, I feel like it's one of those decks that you can have constructed and bring to FNM every few weeks and completely clean up with.
Pwn, I agree with all the statements you made with the exception of tokens not being aggro. I know it really has all its best plays on turns 3-5 but I still find it doing so much much early on that it can change the entire pace of a game. Haunted Humans is by far my favorite aggro deck in the market right now, because it has such great reach.
Which decks do you two find you like playing against the least? Like are there match-ups where you completely go "Fuuuuu" and know that you're in for an uphill battle mostly post-board?
Kenny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Tokens could be considered Mid-Range simply because they pack sweepers and bigger creatures, making them not a true aggro deck...just an idea.

As far as FFFUUU- decks, none of the above scare me. RDW is the scariest to me as a UB player simply because Shrine and Manabarbs end me. Out of your listed decks, Humans are decent simply because Mirran Crusader is a bit tougher to answer...I can't just Doom Blade it! But...I can use Zenith or counterspells. Decks that play Bird of Paradise or other quick mana-dorks can be a hassle, as it puts their t3 play out of mana leak range for me if they are on the play. Overall I don't really fear any of those decks. I have yet to really play against any of the Delver decks, but they might be scarier as they have access to counter magic so they can just ride the Delver itself to victory.

Overall I think every aggro deck right now is a meta call. With the format shifting every week, you need to be able to find out which decks are going to be hated on, and which ones are under the radar. Just switch them out every week or two and you are good to go! It helps that they are all really cheap, so building multiples should be easy enough...

Just some ideas!
Nate

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Also, how do you hate Delver's mana base? It is all Islands (and various utility lands...)! Haha!
Nate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:12 pm

I can appreciate everything you mentioned. I can really see RDW as much more mean than normal with a Manabarbs in play, as they can tap one mana and still be threatening. As for Delver decks; Tenzin, Andy, Jason V., and I built one, and it just felt clunky on a lot of draws. It was a pretty heavy mulligan deck because one, if not your only, legitimate threat is the delver itself. I see the deck kinda like playing Haunted Humans (I run 3 mana leak main deck), but not as good. Because the only legitimate one drop threat for delver decks is delver, whereas Haunted Humans has several acceptable turn one plays that can all evolve into something much meaner. I'm actually embarrassed I didn't include RDW, because I see myself as a Red Mage at heart. I have a fully constructed RDW and everything! But based off of what you tell me I should stick to the game plan of rotating my threats. Playing multiple aggro decks competently, but keeping an element of surprise from week to week, so I can avoid a particular deck being over hated. Because we all know our sideboards evolve as our meta game does. Thanks for the feedback!
Kenny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason-admin on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 am

my two cents, is that haunted humans is the best aggro deck in the format, has legit games vs. all control decks, multiple answers to wrath effects: mana leak, moorland haunt, and doomed traveler (if you run him). T-steel i feel is a super meta call that would be bad at anything other than a GP or higher event, GPT or lower events love their artifact hate. Delver decks are weird, mono blue is just the same bad illusion deck but with a super drop...that they have less than a 50% chance to actually(20 Lands + 20ish creatures = 33% chance to flip...ewww) turn it into a threat or you can play u/r which is super tempo, but while having a better ability to flip the delver have no real back up plan. Wolf run and G/w tokens (both kinds) are more mid-rangy decks feasting on developing decks, and solar flare; mono red respectively. and even at that they are not impossible to win matches for the decks they are suppose to beat...i would stay away from them unless you are planning lots of t-steel...than g/r wolf run it up!

anyways that my take on it
Jason-admin
Admin

View user profile http://mtgkings.freegametalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AngryJason on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:49 am

Jason-admin wrote:my two cents, is that haunted humans is the best aggro deck in the format, has legit games vs. all control decks, multiple answers to wrath effects: mana leak, moorland haunt, and doomed traveler (if you run him). T-steel i feel is a super meta call that would be bad at anything other than a GP or higher event, GPT or lower events love their artifact hate. Delver decks are weird, mono blue is just the same bad illusion deck but with a super drop...that they have less than a 50% chance to actually(20 Lands + 20ish creatures = 33% chance to flip...ewww) turn it into a threat or you can play u/r which is super tempo, but while having a better ability to flip the delver have no real back up plan. Wolf run and G/w tokens (both kinds) are more mid-rangy decks feasting on developing decks, and solar flare; mono red respectively. and even at that they are not impossible to win matches for the decks they are suppose to beat...i would stay away from them unless you are planning lots of t-steel...than g/r wolf run it up!

anyways that my take on it

i mean if it evoles in to that then mono blue will be the best being faster than wolf run???
AngryJason

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 am

I believe Haunted Humans is the best aggro deck. It can hold its own to to control decks via DOOMED TRAVELER, Mirran Crusader/Geist of Saint Traft. My second pick would have to be GW Wolfrun because adding white gives the deck into high quality removal aka Oblivian Ring and gets Day of Judgement. Plus another solid creature Elesh Norn. My third pick would have to be MonoBlue Delver because it is just as fast as Tempered Steel but has mana leak to add depth. The illusions dying to being targeted is not really a big deal because any card that would target them anyway WOULD KILL THEM REGARDLESS!!!(Wolfrun being the exception) But that is my opinion on the best aggro decks in the format.

Marcus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down