The Cube Format: Who's in?

Go down

The Cube Format: Who's in?

Post  Rusch on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:45 am

Just to introduce myself in case you don't know me, I'm Andrew Rusch. I have been playing Magic the Gathering for some time and only recently have started to go to Kings.

Because of past experience I have had with Cube Drafting, I thought we might start one. Its a very interesting concept, and the format is strictly controlled by its players.

What is it?

Cube Drafting is where a group of 8 drafters, choose the cards for a draft style format. the drafters would have a giant box of assorted singles, with a particular count on the number of cards per color, as card type. Generally they cards selected have had some effect on any meta game, such as cards like Leonine Sky Hunter, to Jace the Mind Sculptor.

These cards are then shuffled endlessly and cards are blindly chosen out of the box. Then after counting out 360 cards, they are turned into three 15 card piles, or 'packs' per player. With these 'packs' turned face-down, the standard draft sequence occurs (pick a card and pass them in the designated direction). Repeat this process until you have 45 cards, and proceed to make a 40 deck, and play against the other drafters. Whether for prize or not, this game and format is an extraordinarily amount of fun. Again, we control the cards that go in, and the cards that go out, thus, the players control the metagame.

However another form of Cube Drafting is called MSE Cube Drafting, which I suspect would be more interesting. MSE stands for Magic Set Editor, a free computer program that generates your card ideas into a visual card itself. Basically it allows you to construct your own cards.

So instead of using singles from all across multiple magic sets, people create and PLAY their own cards (still only using one copy) in the same drafting environment. There are obvious rules for creating your own card and it is pretty much this: Don't make your card bannable before we even play it. A card can't be something like a 1/1 creature for a [U] that draws 3 cards when it comes into the battlefield. If a card seems too good, the 8 people drafting can decide if it should be snubbed or not, thus the joy of the format.

If we do create our own cards however the box can only have a certain amount of each color, nonbasic lands, artifacts, etc. So to do this we need to be somewhat coordinated from the start, meaning who would even be interested? Who is going to help make these cards?

So far the people interested are
1. Andrew Rusch (Myself obviously)
2. Jason
3. Andy
4. Nate

Creating cards is harder than it sounds, it takes around 2 weeks after you first start to create your first card to even be around the alloted amount you should create (85 Cards total). That total is for the work to be divided by eight people. Also, remember this format is very malleable, if new cards are created we can just straight-up replace them.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you want to be a part of this! I will send you information about the specific card count I would need from you as well as help you with setting up MSE and finding pictures for your cards.

Last edited by Rusch on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rusch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am so in

Post  Andy on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:53 am

Count me in lets make this happpen. I don't care what version. Cool
Andy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Cube Format: Who's in?

Post  Rusch on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:06 am

Basically the Cube Box looks like this:

93 of each color (465 total)
~12 per card color per person.
13 Artifact Mana fixers
~2 per person
11 Equipment
~2 per person
87 Multicolor cards
~11 per person
26 Non creature artifacts
~4 per person
19 Artifact Creatures
~3 per person
19 Non Basic Lands
~3 per person
X Planeswalkers
Make up to 2 Planeswalkers per person.

As you can see the totals are rounded out, we basically eliminate any extras based on group favor towards the others. i.e. If 8 people make 2 equipment cards, we have 16 when we only take in 11. We favor 11 of them, and trash the other 5 extras!

Also do not worry about creature count when making the cards, we combine 8 players creations and it usually balances itself out. If there is a problem with lack of a certain kind of spells (noncreatures for example), we fix them ourselves.
Rusch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Examples...

Post  Rusch on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:23 am

Here is an example of a few cards that are not super broken, but would definitely see play.

Rusch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:48 am

nice cards. im definitely in for this man (either in real cards or mse...although i think the mse version might be more entertaining haha).
Nate

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 am

The MSE version sounds like a cool idea. Not sure how good I'd be at making balanced cards, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Jonathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down